Mitch Orth

February 26, 1985  -  March 4, 2010
2003 Graduate of Bishop Brossart High School
Where He Lettered In Baseball and Basketball

"Worked Hard, Played Hard,
Lived Life To The Fullest"

Mich liked to "Hang out with his friends,
drink some beer, and have a good time."

Coached The 7th Grade St. Mary Boys Basketball Saints
From 2003 to Present
Won the Diocesan Championship
in 2008
Mitch Orth's family, and many friends were plunged into a state of shock late Thursday evening, March 4th when word of
his sudden death swept our community.
Mitch Orth, the poster-child for living a full, happy life, died of heart failure at his sister Megan's home, where he lived
with her and her husband Chris in Edgewood, while he worked on preparing to move into his own home on Parkview Drive
in Alexandria.
Mitch had spent the day in Lexington where he visited with Matt Lloyd and bought him a 21st birthday beer, prior to
heading back home to Northern Kentucky.

We all knew that Mitch had a heart problem, which appeared on the surface that he had successfully overcome as he lived a
full and vibrant life, despite having had a pacemaker installed at age 20.  When asked how his health was, Mitch's
stock-in-trade answer was always, "I'm good to go,"  And go he did.  He and his six partners in the famous Bengals Bus
traveled the breath and width of this country following their beloved Bengals, most recently to Minnesota and San Diego,
California where they played the famous Torrey Pines Golf Course, on the Pacific Ocean coast as part of their adventure.

Mitch's first love were his 7th Grade St. Mary Saints basketball
teams, that he coached since graduation from high school back in
2003.  His crowning achievement came in 2008 when his Saints
presented him with the 7th Grade Diocesan Championship, the
first for St. Mary School since Mitch's dad, Dave, brought home
the heavy hardware back in 1988.  Mitch was equally proud of his
diocesan champs as he was all of his other teams.  Mitch had the
perfect temperament to be a grade school coach, teaching his
charges the fundamentals of the game, while allowing them to
have a fantastic experience as they progressed up the ladder.
Mitch also coached the 17 and Under Shining Stars AAU Team
under Brossart Varsity Assistant Coach Kevin Bundy.  Hardest
hit by Mitch's death were his former players, and especially his
2010 team, which just had had their team party the night before
Mitch passed away.

Mitch was the consumate Brosssart Mustang.  Named Mr. Brossart by his senior classmates, Mitch thrived here whether it
be at social events, or on the baseball diamond or basketball court.  Mitch was a natural leader and an intense competitor,
patrolling the outfied for Bob Rowe's baseball Mustangs, or taking charges on the hardwood.  Mitch Orth took
seven-footer Derrick Rhoden under his wing after Derrick returned from his illness during his sophomore year.  The two
worked in symphony.  Derrick would post-up with confidence, knowing that Mitch would get him the ball.  Mitch was the
master of the lob pass, and Derrick and the Mustangs were the direct beneficiaries of Mitch's generosity.

Mitch was also a member of the Brossart retreat team, wishing to share the postive retreat experience that he himself
derived from his senior retreat with the present day Brossart seniors.  His retreat cross was prominent at Mitch's visitation.

Thousands paid their respects to Mitch and his family at the Thomas H. Seither Sportscenter which served as Mitch's
funeral setting.   The last person passed through the visitation line at 11:45pm on Monday night.  Fr. James Egbers did a
masterful job of celebrating Mitch's life at St. Mary Church before a standing room only crowd, via a homily that perfectly
described Mitch's passion for life.

Mitch's sudden death leaves a huge void in all of our lives.  While he has gone to his eternal reward, we will always
remember Mitch for his broad smile, impish grin, bright eyes, and thirst for the great story, next adventure, or major
challenge.  He has brightened all of our lives and will remain an omni-present memory as we soldier on from this day

Rest in peace, Mitch Orth, you lived life to the very fullest and are a fitting example for those of us who remain behind to
mold our lives.
This picture of Lindsey Sendelbach and Mitch Orth was taken as
the candidates were being introduced  in conjunction with the
2003 Homecoming Basketball game.

Little did the two high school friends know that both would be
struck down in the prime of their lives.
Lindsey was killed in a fatal automobile accident on July 13, 2005
at the age of 20.  It was Mitch who organized Lindsey's
prayer service the night of her death.
It appears that the sound file of the 2008 7th Grade Diocesan Championship
Game broadcast is no longer archived by EZStream.
However, I do have a copy of the broadcast downloaded and will be happy to provide a copy to
whoever might be interested in having it.  E/Mail me at djschabell@gmail.com
Click Here To View The Mitch Orth Slideshow - Revised
Click Here To Revisit
BMustangs Article
"Community Awakes To Face Reality Of Mitch Orth's Passing "
Click Here To Revisit The
"Mitch Orth Obituary Page"
Click Here To Revisit
"Mitch Orth Facebook Tribute Page"
Click Here To Revisit BMustangs Article
"Tribute To Mitch From His Players"
Click Here To Revisit BMustangs Article
"A Final Farewell - Some Thoughts About The Last Few Days"
Click Here To Access The Text Of Fr. James Egbers' Homily
Delivered At Mitch's Funeral Mass On March 9th, 2010 At St. Mary Church, Alexandria